Saturday, April 5, 2008

Stuck in a Rut?

Today it's another rainy, rainy day in NH. The sun hasn't been shining lately at school or at home. Can I get out of the rut of running between schools and not feeling part of either. Can I make my position one that everyone seeks out, and shouts for glory about? Probably not, I'm a teacher for goodness sake.

I'm pretty good at lists, although sometimes I forget where they are, could be a third born trait? Looking for a "rut rescue" I discovered this newsletter http://k6educators.about.com/od/professionaldevelopment/a/self_reflection.htm. It's full of handy, ordered lists on reflecting on one's position, my kind of place. It's feed: http://k6educators.about.com/gi/pages/stay.htm will provide me with updates to read, reflect and ponder for months to come.

I also wonder about what level of connection I’m after. After spending time in the private sector I often hear “Education is different” all the time. Although I’ve been back teaching for 7 years, it’s vital to figure out how to move beyond being an outsider and rediscover why education was my major of choice. Mary M. Brabeck professor and dean of the Carolyn A. and Peter S. Lynch School of Education at Boston College says it well, at http://www.bc.edu/bc_org/rvp/pubaf/chronicle/v11/n14/brabeck.html

2 comments:

Passionateteach said...

Thanks for the articles! :) I am forwarding them to myself at school so I can send them to the staff. I know teaching is not about the money, that is for sure. It is for the kids! And it is so true today, we wear so many hats in order to serve our students as best as we can.

The self reflection is great! I can tell you there are days where I am LAZY in the class, and I feel guilty, but other days, I am tired! Who knows.. hopefully things will get better with our educational system here in the US...

Torchgirl said...

You have to check out my latest blog and the www.thinkquest.org/library link. These are fabulous sites created by students around the world. Take a breath, look at a few and your world will be better, at least a bit brighter. I think this week's actions have reinforced in me... I'm not stuck, unless I think I'm stuck....

Let's talk soon about the project too.