Saturday, April 19, 2008

Not quite a Mish-Mash

Here I am visiting the K12 conference listening to Brian Crosby's keynote address, Brian's presentation begins with a description that sounds like anything new in education has for the past umpteen years...  "Using what is happening in my classroom as a backdrop, we'll endeavor to provide reasons, methods and rationale during our time here that support integration of 21st century tools in education.  We will share a few tools and methods that you may not have access to, but much of what you will see is probably available at your school site.... you just don't know it yet."  

Beyond that 21st century part, I think his news is dated at times.   I don't agree that we shouldn't use our time utilizing new tools to learn old things (multiplication tables, keyboarding).  Isn't that like saying, go ahead and learn to type on a manual typewriter?  Or, get those flash cards out kids, they're the best thing we have to offer.  

Ultimately I agree with is the addition of new tools to support our students new lifestyles.  They live and learn in a mad-flashing world.  Using blogs, wiki's, flickr pages, and videos add new 21st century tools to our students repertoires.   His are just fantastic!

1 comment:

shegstrom said...

I also listened to Brian Cosby's keynote address from the K12conference. I really enjoyed it as well. He takes a great amount of detail to go how we can use new tools in the classroom and some of there uses. I found it to be very informative. I do have to play devil's advocate and disagree on one point. I disagree that " utilizing new tools to learn old things (multiplication tables, keyboarding)" I think these tools help to enhance our students understanding of these concepts and they all love playing on the internet so why not make keyboarding and multiplication fun. There are lots of sites that play games with keyboarding and math facts that my kids have enjoyed over the years. As a matter of fact, my daughter is a memorizer. So for her to do flash cards online was much for fun then doing multiplication tables with me. Just a thought.