Tuesday, March 25, 2008

RSS for me!

Okay, As Jeff describes in his Daily Links, NASA and I are running our PLN (Personal Learning Network) similarly. With RSS Feeds, I can slow it down just a bit. It's as if someone read my mind, went through all my mail and handed me what I needed to know - how Divine!

I think I could get this to work in my classes quickly. If students had Blogline accounts, we could feed all the updates on a particular topic to that account. And like Will Richardson says, the research work is cut down considerably. Imagine having someone else research for you 24/7. More importantly, they can collaborate when a great feed is uncovered.

Today, there is a world of opportunity that can crash down on us at any moment. For the person who just wants some help weeding through everything, RSS, Real Simple Syndication (Remember the KISS, "Keep it Simple, Sweetie" adage we all learned? I think it would be the one technique I would always introduce to an older learner. They grew up with secretaries, routine, etc. and it may be a great way to move them to the 21st Century. Now... if I could just find one to experiment with...

2 comments:

shegstrom said...

I know. I think they are awesome too. I have alot of RSS feeds for job positions so instead of me looking everyday, I can just check my feeds. It's awesome, Not all sites have them and that limits me a little as to what feeds I can put on my wiki but I love having information coming to me! Think of our students. This would be a huge advantage over the many fruitless searches they do on the internet for research or other pertinent information.

Jeff said...

"With RSS Feeds, I can slow it down just a bit. It's as if someone read my mind, went through all my mail and handed me what I needed to know - how Divine!"

Love this! I'm using this to explain to others. Thanks!