Saturday, March 22, 2008

Connectivism

Is Siemens too forward thinking? Can something he wrote not be explored by traditional educators? When I Google "connectivism" there are about 157,000 hits. When I look it up in my dashboard dictionary, it's not there! What does that say about this principle?

Joseph Joupert "The aim of an argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress." is Capacity to know more, Knowledge resting in networks, Diverse Opinions? I don't feel many of today's teachers are ready to oblige. Trained in a traditional format, the need to know more (than their students), versus understanding there is knowledge in the masses is not even a known concept in some cases.

Knowledge networks promote diversity, autonomy, interactivity and openness. In many cases, there isn't any shared power. How can a knowledge network exist?

Will Richardson calls today's students "Digital Natives" The rest of us are not. To take us to the next level, take a look at http://itdl.org/Journal/Jan_05/article01.html. George Siemen's Introduction to the Digital Age. Perhaps this or http://www.connectivism.ca/blog/ will give educators a learned approach on how to move forward. I'll keep my fingers crossed!




http://www.connectivism.ca/blog/

3 comments:

Passionateteach said...

I agree with you Patti! From what I see in my school setting. The traditional trained teacher is not into anything close to "twitter" or "blogging" or even using the one computer they have in the classroom. They rely on what they know and not working with connectivism or nodes! I love our technology that we have at our finger tips, although there is so much of it out there to even learn. I buy into the connectivism theory, but I do not feel it is for everyone. It is for the willing participant. It may be for the kids we teach, but not for the "teachers" who are afraid of the technology. It is not always that the teachers must work with technology to be part of the connectivism theory, but it does help. It does show that some people are stuck in their thinking as teachers, but hopefully we can encourage them to start with little baby steps and experience some of this awesome technology that is out there for them to use. It isn't as scary as it seems and it can really benefit them. Who doesn't want to share lesson plans and ideas with other educators? It can only make us better teachers... That is what I think anyway! :)

Torchgirl said...

Kim, how about trying RSS with a traditional teacher? Would it work? I know I have an older art teacher who loves to see the museum sites. What if I set up an RSS feed for her to use? I think it may be a baby step forward!

Passionateteach said...

Yes, I think that would be a wonderful idea! :) You should go for it. I want to teach our teachers how to use that too as well as settin g up either a diigo or delicious account that the students could access.