Saturday, May 10, 2008

Students & Assessment

This week I revisited the idea of self-assessment with my 4th grade classroom. They had created music via GarageBand and then a pod cast, merged the two and added a photo. We had a few glitches along the way, which we solved with critical-thinking activities. I reintroduced the Siemen’s idea of “the knowledge of one is always outweighed by the knowledge of many”and "Learning and Knowledge rests in a diversity of Opinions." That one could most likely cause issues in the public schools of America, I think.

Students were able to take turns at the instructor’s station (wireless machine with InFocus projector attached). Each student heard what the next task was, and could volunteer (boy\girl\boy\girl).

What amazes me, is we followed the same procedures we had done when we created autobiographies utilizing PowerPoint. I think Jeff’s idea of creating a pod-cast from the students would be exciting. First, the forms I used probably weren’t clear enough (or, the students were too inexperienced with following directions?) and, if they could repeat the exercise of pod-casting, it would cement their skills.

I’m going to give it a shot.

No comments: